Position: R&D Engineer – Materials & Grade Development
Hyperion Materials & Technologies Spain
Hyperion Materials & Technologies is a global, full-line provider of innovative cemented carbide, diamond and cubic boron nitride solutions. We enable our customers to improve business performance with effective and wear-resistant tools, applications and components in hard and super-hard materials. We offer product solutions, unique services and application development expertise to support our customers’ competitive needs, and our global extension enables us to provide our customers with local support.
Hyperion has its Carbide Research & Development Centre in Barcelona, Spain. This R&D Centre includes a new laboratory building with state-of-the-art equipment and employs researchers focused on developing next generation materials, products and process technologies to support the business. It serves as the core technology enabler, supporting also a decentralized product development activity already operating in the production units.
Working at Hyperion Materials & Technologies in Barcelona will give you the chance to work with product development and materials processing using advanced equipment and technology. You will develop good contacts with our production units strategically positioned around the globe and also with research institutes and universities.
The role will involve:
• Development of novel grades of cemented carbide in support of our diverse range of applications.
• Supporting the subsequent manufacture and commercial exploitation of developments in close collaboration with product developers, application engineers and production units globally.
• Exploring novel concepts, approaches or insights for advanced, high-performance composite materials and seeking an effective route to their commercialization.
• Analyzing material properties and connecting those properties with customer demands.
• Working in an international team and liaising with suppliers/customers on technical issues, particularly material selection.
• Leading teams as Project Manager.
• Collaborating with universities and other external research centers.
• Ensuring Quality and Health-Safety-Environmental procedures are followed.
The successful candidate will:
• Possess an MSc, preferably a PhD, in a relevant Engineering discipline.
• Have at least three years of relevant industrial experience in materials science or metallurgy, especially cemented carbides.
• Possess a demonstrable track record in successfully developing and bringing to market improved or novel materials.
• Have analytical skills including optical and scanning electron microscopies, and be familiar with mechanical, thermal and corrosion testing techniques.
• Possess good inter-personal and communication skills with experience of working in and/or leading multidisciplinary teams.
• Have a good command of oral and written English.
• Have the ability to travel occasionally.
The following would be advantageous:
• Background on cemented carbide development.
• Thermodynamic modelling at user level.
• Knowledge on powder metallurgy, processing and characterization
Send your application no later than October 28th, 2018. Send your cv to firstname.lastname@example.org
Hyperion Materials & Technologies is the global leader in hard and super hard materials with over 60 years of experience in cemented carbide, diamond and cubic boron nitride technologies, specializing in premium base materials, tool maker components, engineered products and process tools and solutions for the most demanding applications. With more than 1,600 employees, Hyperion has its production footprint in North and South America, Europe and Asia, and sales in over 70 countries.